Tuesday, November 8, 2011

MEET THE LONGEST SERVING CULTURE WEEK CHAIRMAN DR. WASAMBO WERE

A word from  the former chairman the culture week Planning Committee.
When were you chairman of the culture week planning committee?
I was chairman from the year 1995 -2000 and then later on from 2006 -2008.
Am not the one who started culture week but I was among the people who has seen it since its inception. It was started with the then Vice Chancellor Prof. Eshiwani and Francis Imbuga who had an interest in cultural matters and thus they got it started.
Tell us your background something that made it easy for the planners to identify you as a prospective candidate for the chairmanship position.
Basically am a dramatist. I started drama when I was a student during my high school. Later on I went to became a drama teacher and got involved in the national Drama festivals with the Ministry. I managed to make the Kenya National Drama festivals a mammoth industry what it is today.  Also before coming to K.U I was the Chairman for the Kenya National Theater for two times and was also the Inspector of Drama in the Ministry of Education where I managed to introduce a dance and verse category in the Drama Festivals. I also teach Drama in Kenyatta University.
How have you seen culture week progress over the years?
I must say that I have seen culture week generally develop as students are getting more and more involved than they were initially. It is becoming more students based. KUSA is now part of the committee.  However I also feel that the vigor which used to see outside teams from other provinces and districts come to perform is dying. We used to have cultural groups from the Maasai land, Nyeri, Mombasa Kisumu and even Kisii coming to perform.  Overall there’s tangible progress.  
Where do you see the future of culture week?
As I said it is becoming more and more students centered as we have seen tremendous student involvement and thus it is headed in the right direction. In a sense it has done a good job in helping bring students together. It is a forum for interaction amongst the students themselves and even amongst the school administration and the students.
Am looking forward to a time when it will be made a National event where we have participants from counties.
Am also suggesting that for us to see a more concrete involvement classes should be suspended during the culture week. This will help eliminate a situation where there seems to be competition between the culture week and classes. It is supposed to be a happy time where everybody takes involvement.



What was your vision when you were chairman of the culture week planning committee?
I wanted to see more vibrant student involvement in terms of participation and management. I also wanted to bring the university close to the people and also make it work as a form of advertising the University.
I yearned to see culture week work as a forum to bring the university and the outside world together.  This worked twice when we took the finalists round the country from Kisumu to Mombasa
I wanted the culture week to be an avenue of bringing the University and the outside world together.
However we need to have a permanent office with staff throughout the year
Any recommendations that will help better the culture week event?
For culture week to survive the University needs to make it a viable section in the University with an existence throughout the year. IT should be a whole department with a secretariat working throughout the year. This is as opposed to what we are witnessing where we get a secretariat being appointed when culture week is around the corner. Also the office has been moving from place to place.
We should have a permanent   office so that we have staff who will be soliciting funds throughout the year.  Culture week has a potential of getting a lot of money if there’s enough time to look for sufficient sponsors. This will make the even fund itself and the University does not have to pay money to have it done.
What are your favorite books
Autobiographies. Currently am reading The Politics of Betrayal by Joe Hamisi. I just finished Raila’s Autobiography. I also read a lot on cultural matters and Drama. I don’t read plays except the ones are teaching.
What is your past time activity
I like listening to music especially Congolese and Luo (Ohangla) Music. On Sundays I go for Films and Saturdays I go dancing I like dancing to Ohanglas and anytime am in Kisumu I must go to a place where I can dance to Oangla Music.

Interview by Nyakango Ovinson

No comments:

Post a Comment